Friday, February 14, 2014

Attack of the Giant Horny Gorilla (1976)

aka A*P*E, aka The Hideous Mutant, aka Super Kong, aka The New King Kong, aka King Ape, aka Ape, aka The Great Counterattack of King Kong

How bad is it? It aspires to the lowest level of Japanese Godzilla movies and fails.

Should you see it? No.
Best shot of the film.


Hearing that a remake of King Kong was going to be released in 1976, this cheap knock-off was made in Korea (in 3-D!) to capitalize on it by being released early. The first five minutes of this film are terrific fun and they had me hoping it would pick up again; in that time, the giant (36 feet tall, 10 tons) gorilla sinks an ocean liner and then battles a giant shark, before swimming to Korea. Unfortunately, from this point it's a retread of King Kong done in rubber suits, rather than stop motion. Gorilla falls in love with actress, wreaks havoc, fights giant lizard (fun, but not worth the wait) and gets killed. It's very slow, dull and stupid... and not in a good way.

2 comments:

  1. Love the concept. I actually label posts on my blog as "So bad it's good" if I feel the film deserves it!

    http://www.zombiehall.com/search/label/SO%20BAD%20IT%27S%20GOOD

    Needless to say, I won't be rushing to watch the horny gorilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being the first commenter (I love comments!) - I'm hoping to create a blogroll here for others who watch these things and will add you when I do.

    ReplyDelete